Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Lindenhurst Jewelry Store

My grandparents Anna and Henry Joseph Koferl in 1921 bought several lots of property in the village of Lindenhurst where they ran two stores Jewelry and Cigar right next to one another.  It was on the south side of Hoffman Ave on the west side of Wellwood Ave. According to the deed dated May 19, 1921 it was described as block number 43 lot 5 and 6. Below is a tax map showing the property. My father was 7 when they purchased the stores. He often reminisced crawling through a connecting closet between both stores. The businesses didn’t last long due to my grandfather falling ill when working on the house roof fell and damaged his heart muscles leading to his death in 1923. He died at home on the fifth of November. According to the obituary my grandfather started the business in 1914.

I am now interested in locating any photographs of the stores. My next stop is the town historian. I contacted the Town historian, Mary Cascone. She suggested I look through the Village Historical Society photo albums, especially the business volume. So off I go tomorrow hopefully to visit the Historical Society.





The below is a 1925 Sanborn map showing the same corner as the tax map found above. 


Another closeup of the same corner.



Another view of the same avenue looking down the street where we see a jewelry store listed. Is it competition or did they own another piece of property.












No comments:

Post a Comment